Wishaw Bowling Club has, in the past, been graced with many talented members throughout
the years. The most notable being Messrs George Sprot. and his more famous Nephew,
Robert. George was the first winner of the S.B.A National Singles competition in
1894 And he repeated this success by winning it again in 1896.
Robert Sprot was the first person to win the S.B.A. National Singles competition
on three separate occasions, but his most notable achievement was becoming the
British Empire Singles Champion, winning the title in only the second ever Empire
Games in 1934.
This achievement led to the origination of the present club badge which represents
the various countries which Robert competed against on his way to victory (indicated
by the red markings on the badge).
The Club has been represented on other occasions at National level and in 1929 the
club held the National Singles and the National Fours title in the same year. A
feat accomplished by no other club at that time
In the past, the club has fostered Three Scottish Internationalists and has been
well represented at County and local levels.
During the early years of the 20th century, the club was actively involved in the
local community scene and often granted permission to local organisations, the use
of Club facilities.
Bands such as Wishaw Highland pipe band; Glasgow Iron and Steel works band;
and Wishaw Town band regularly gave concerts in the club grounds.
The local professional orchestra Association also held a series of Sunday concerts
at the club.
Another milestone in the Club’s progress continued in 1967 with the introduction
of Lady Members for the first time. Approximately 20 Ladies joined in their inaugural
year and to date the ladies section enjoys a membership of 101.
During 1986 the directors had cause to address the need to replace the Club House
due to the condition of the existing building , which had long outlived its life
span. This was approved, with work beginning during the closed season of 1986, and
was completed prior to the season Opening Day in 1987 at a cost of circa £85,000.
Further improvements such as the addition of a members lounge, lowering the existing
ceiling and the installation of a new kitchen have been added in recent years
1990 saw the completion of the new Bowls Pavilion situated at the “top green” at
a cost of circa £12,300.This outlay was held to a minimum, largely due to the building
construction team which was carried out by the now disbanded Youth Training Scheme
(YTS) under the supervision of professional management and qualified instructors.This
venture added much needed spectator, and changing facilities to that area.
Through diligence and commitment to the task, our committee’s constantly strive towards
excellence in the management of our club and we are proud to be associated with
a great institution like Wishaw Bowling Club.